- Human Resources
- Applicant Commitment
Dear Future Applicant
Thank you for considering a career in public service. Before applying for a position, we encourage you to consider New Hanover County's Mission, Vision, and Shared Values to better understand what drives the organization and the county's expectations of employees. New Hanover County Human Resources department strives to recruit, engage, develop and retain employees committed to public service. We can only accomplish our mission and deliver quality services to citizens by selecting employees who are committed to good governance and demonstrate a desire to serve the public.
New Hanover County is committed to providing equitable opportunities and exceptional public services through good governance to ensure a safe, healthy, secure and thriving community for all.
A vibrant, prosperous, diverse coastal community, committed to building a sustainable future for future generations.
New Hanover County has identified six shared values as the fundamental principles that guide how members of the organization conduct themselves while carrying out our mission in pursuit of the vision. Together, these values provide an ethical framework for decision-making and action. We strongly encourage you to explore our Shared Values and their meanings below:
- Professionalism - Behaving responsively and proactively in our delivery of service to the public, characterized by the quality and diligence with which it is carried out.
- Integrity - Being forthright, honest and respectful in our interaction with each other and the public at all times, building and reinforcing confidence in our ability to consistently deliver high quality service and results.
- Innovation - Applying progressive thinking, creativity and adaptability to continually improve all areas of operations, resulting in a more agile and efficient organization.
- Equity - The creation of opportunities for historically underrepresented populations throughout the enterprise and community, to have equal access to and participation in public resources, employment, professional development, advancement, and succession opportunities that are capable of closing any attainment gap in professional success or public service.
- Stewardship - The responsible management of resources entrusted to our care, using sound decision-making to ensure services, programs and tax policies are affordable and sustainable over time.
- Accountability - Taking personal responsibility for our actions and decisions, as well as their consequences, in order to engender trust between and among elected officials, County staff, and the public at large.
New Hanover County is committed to hiring men and women at the top of their professional fields, who possess the best technical skills and who demonstrate an unwavering dedication to the citizens we serve. To ensure a commitment to our Shared Values and to further integrate potential employees with our organizational mission and vision, it is also necessary that we select employees who demonstrate the behaviors associated with our Shared Values.
New Hanover County's commitment to serving our citizens does not end when disaster strikes. If anything, our commitment to serve becomes even more important. Every employee of New Hanover County is required to work during emergency/disaster situations, such as, but not limited to, hurricanes. The emergency work assignments during these situations may be outside of the scope of regular duties and may require working any day of the week during various hours (day or night) for unspecified lengths of time. We want candidates considering employment with New Hanover County to be aware of this essential duty that exists in each position the county requests budget funding for so that you can consider this commitment when deciding if employment with New Hanover County is the right choice.
New Hanover County employees are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Documentation must be submitted verifying full vaccination within 30 days of starting.
By applying for a position, you are committing to uphold New Hanover County's Shared Values, honor the commitment to serve during emergency situations and be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 should you become an employee of New Hanover County.