NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – Beginning February 1, residents can receive free tax preparation and filing by trained, IRS-certified volunteers through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax Aide programs.
These programs will be available at no-cost through April 18 for all New Hanover County residents, regardless of age. Some days and locations require appointments while others are first-come, first-served.
Tax preparation is available at the following locations:
Senior Resource Center: 2222 S. College Road, Wilmington
- Days of operation:
- Monday and Wednesday (9 a.m.-3 p.m.): In-person tax preparation and no appointments are needed (first-come, first-served). Please pick-up tax packet in advance to prepare documents.
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (9-11 a.m.): Drop off tax preparation offered (no face-to-face on these days), and appointments are required. Please pick-up tax packet in advance to prepare documents.
- To register for an appointment or for questions about the services at this location, call 910-798-6416, or make your appointment online at SRC.NHCgov.com.
NHC Downtown Library, 3rd Floor: 201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington
- Days of operation: Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
- Appointment times available: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- To register for an appointment at this location, call 910-798-7341.
Carolina Beach Site: 300 Cape Fear Blvd, Carolina Beach
- Days and hours of operation: Monday-Friday, noon-4 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m.-noon
- Appointments are not required. First-come, first served.
- For additional information about this location, call 910-380-1220.
“We’re excited to offer two services, at no cost, to our residents who need help filing their taxes for 2022,” said Senior Resource Center Director Amber Smith. “Thanks to the amazing dedication of our trained and certified volunteers, we’re able to offer New Hanover County residents with a variety of ways they can get their 2022 taxes filed at no-cost to them between now and April 18. Last year, we served around 3,000 residents through these programs, and we are glad to be able to offer this again.”
For more information, including program restrictions and allowances, visit the Senior Resource Center website.